Saturday, August 29, 2009

My Daddy

Maybe it's rain falling outside my window, the chill in the air or the exhaustion from a trying week, but I feel like writing about something tonight. I don't have a topic just yet, but I have a feeling one will come to me as long as I just keep writing.

I'm listening to so many songs tonight that seem to remind me of someone or someplace. A moment frozen in time by a melody. I'm emotional this evening, rather melancholic truth be told which is why I think the music is affecting me so.

Right now the song my Dad & I dance to at my wedding is playing. 'I loved her first' by Heartland, it brings a smile to my face, a tear to my eye & a flutter in my tummy. I remember the very first time I heard the song, it was about a month or so before the wedding, and I cried from beginning to end and knew that this was it. I love my father so much, I can't even explain.

I remember so much about him on my wedding day that it's ridiculous. I can remember waking up way too early and hearing him downstairs, so I went down to chat with him, and he told me to lay on the couch & nap so I wouldn't be tired. I remember him dropping me at my Aunt's & going to the dry cleaners to get my dress for me & dropping it off. I remember seeing him come down the stairs at my Aunt's in his tux, I had my hair & make-up all done, and my veil was in my hair, we looked at each other, smiled & I said Daddy, you look so good!! We hugged, I cried. I remember him trying to make me laugh just before we walked down the aisle, because he told me if I cried he may cry.

I have 2 favourite Dad on my wedding day memories though, one was when he & Mom came out of the church, he hugged me then he said to Jeff "C'mere Son, I'm gonna do to you what I do to all my sons", he then proceeded to give Jeff a kiss on the cheek and hugged him, everyone 'awwed' and my brother said "You've never done that to me!" and we laughed. The other memory was in fact my dance with him, the song started and he said to me 'I told your brother when you were up there, I remember when she was just a little girl, and she'd say to me, daddy pick me up, daddy let's play, daddy can I come with you, daddy let's go for a drive...now you're all grown up & not a little girl anymore'. I hugged him so tight and told him 'Daddy, I'll always be your little girl.'

My Dad is such a smart man, but I don't think he has ever believed that about himself. He wasn't really a book smart guy, but he just knows stuff. He has an extreme admiration for all things WWII, John Wayne & ducks. He loves quietly but deeply. He is extremely funny once he feels comfortable around you, but until then you might think he's rather serious. He is one of the softest rocks in the world, but he is just that, he's so soft when it comes to his family, but he undoubtedly is our rock.

I love him & I thank God that I have him.

No comments:

Post a Comment