Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Struggles & Pink Hair

Some days, I still struggle.  Some days, I still feel down. Some days, I feel unsettled. This week, I've been experiencing all of this.  I don't know why.  I just know that it will pass.  I just have to work hard to get myself out of it.  These feelings don't scare me anymore.  They used to shame me. I felt less than, because I have this amazing daughter, I mean really, she's a superstar, well, she's my superstar.  I have such a wonderful husband & father in my life.

Why was I falling apart? Why?

I found out why.  Everyone has a breaking point.  Everyone.  When you get to your breaking point, you start having panic attacks.  You see non-threatening things as being threatening.  Your 'fight or flight' instincts kick in, but because there is no threat, you have a panic attack.  Finding out this information has made me realize that I can & absolutely will get better.

I'm still anxious every single day.  Every single time we leave the apartment to go to an appointment, to get groceries, or simply to my parents' house, I get anxious. It feels so silly when you write it down.  My parents house.  The house that I grew up in, I lived there until I was 24, it was my home.  Why would I ever be anxious? What a wacky disorder to have.

Despite my anxiety, I am so much happier being my true self now.  I have pink hair.  I have (sorry mom & dad) mother fucking pink hair!!!! Can you stinking believe it?! SO fun!!! I spent so much time in my life worrying about what people would think of me.  Will they like me, they probably think I'm a bitch, I need to cover up my fat body because it may offend them, I need to look the role of a mom.  All things I've thought.  All things I still struggle with.

 My internal dialogue is pretty rough some days, but I know that it's wrong.  I'm not the person I expect other people to think I am.  Also, that's pretty bold of me, to think I know what people think.  Seriously, why do I think these people two flying frigs about me? Frig, I just realized how ridiculous it all is.  I'm a fat chick, who doesn't want to spend one more summer entirely in jeans.  Like it or lump it.  Also, you may see a variety of shades in my hair over the next few months, possibly an eyebrow piercing & a new tattoo.  Just saying that I'm working on doing the things that feel like me...it's pretty dang liberating to be frank.


10 comments:

  1. Good for you! It takes a strong person to find themselves and to hell with what other people think. You are certainly not alone...

    ReplyDelete
  2. xo....I am with you....please know that..:*) You are strong and beautiful, inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Takes strong & beautiful, to know it! Thanks! xo

      Delete
  3. You rock. I'm so much in the same boat with you: http://profbanks.com/?p=48 The fraternity of the pinkhaired is happy and defiant and supportive and awesome. Welcome, sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Pink hair makes me harmlessly happy!

      Delete
  4. Peener! Peener! Peener! Peener! Peener! Peener! Peener! Peener! Peener! Peener! Peener! Peener! Peener! Peener! Peener! Peener! Peener! Peener! Peener! Peener! Peener! Peener! Peener! Peener! Peener! Peener! Peener! Peener! Peener! Peener! Peener! Peener! Peener! Peener! Peener!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY! Pink Hair! Take THAT anxiety! ka-POW!

    (I came over from the Unvirtuous Abbey twitter feed. GO PAULA! Rock the pink hair and rock the summer clothes. Moncton is ridiculously hot in the summer - you deserve some fun flirty skirts with that awesome pink hair... and now I'm eyeing up my white roots... hmmmm...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pink is in! If I ever grow hair again, I'm colouring it pink!

    ReplyDelete